Dr. Johnson is Fighting To:
- Improve the public education system and ensure that children in District 18 receive the same quality of education as children in residentially wealthier districts.
- Expand Career and Technology Education (Vocational Education) programs in high schools; Increase internship and apprenticeship programs to feed the trades with highly skilled workers upon graduation. (Texas HB 136 & SB 2105).
- Expand and enhance President Obama’s Second Chance Pell Grant Pilot Program.
- Expand the Student Work-Study Mentorship Program to enhance academic accountability and student success throughout America. (Texas SB 2082).
Criminal Justice Reform
- Increase Educational and Faith-Based programming in prisons (Bible College & Chapel Building).
- Enhance reentry programs to ensure career readiness and allow for sustainable employment and reintegration.
- Minimize the barriers to occupational licensing for non-violent offenders.
- Mandate nationwide system to system tracking of the Foster Care to Juvenile Justice pipeline (Texas HB 932).
- Expand Law Enforcement Mental Health Grant Programs and ensure all officers have access to mental health treatment. (Texas HB 2619)
Economic Development & Stimulation
- Expand Senior Citizens’ Exemption program; exempt all seniors, 75 years and older, from paying property taxes.
- Defeat legislation that unfairly targets senior citizens and/or allows for any cuts in benefits and services.
- Actively work to end discrimination practices that affect the LGBT community.
- Introduce a Disaster Mitigation Bill to aid communities impacted by Hurricane Harvey; increase drainage and infrastructure in all of the affected areas.
- Increase tax incentives to encourage the business community to hire veterans.
- Create the infrastructure/feeder system for Veteran Transition: Ensure District 18’s 26,600 Veterans, and their families, have access to vital services which may ease the transition back to civilian life (i.e. health care, housing, job assistance, education, etc.).
- Lift Regulatory Restrictions, including restrictions that currently prevent youth who have felony convictions from receiving necessary education and training.
- Lift harmful and unnecessary industry regulations.
- Create innovative housing solutions for community’s in need of expanded development.
- Increase Small Business capital and allow expansion; Create jobs and spur economic vitality in our community.
- Ensure Equal Pay for Equal Work and fair treatment in the workplace.
National Security & Public Safety
- Enact Responsible Immigration Reform and ensure a path to citizenship for DACA recipients.
- Establish a Congressional Liaison program for the undocumented, Hispanic community to assist individuals navigating the maze red tape in an attempt to obtain citizenship.
- Increase and enhance Border Security presence to stop illegal human and drug trafficking.
Health Care Reform
- Encourage the VA to hire Vets First
- Fix the Affordable Care Act; Reduce Premiums and Deductibles.